Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Enjoy the silence

This is something you shouldn't ever tell to a singer or a musician: enjoy the silence. Enjoy that you don't have concerts for a while, so you have time to rest and rejuvinate yourself.

2018 was the year of silence. It passed by rather concertless, but it doesn't mean that nothing happened to me. I have moved from one address to another within Tilburg. The street where I live now is named after an opera composer, and I did not know about getting on the list for this apartment and I was singing one of the arias by him all the time. So I started to build a nest for my very own. My nest is on the ground floor, so I even have a little garden where I planted strawberries, raspberries, irises, freesias and other flowers. This year I am planning to grow some vegetables as well. At the moment my garden is filled with crocuses


It took some time until I got used to this silent year, but a really dear friend of mine told me that I shouldn't be worried about it, because sometimes you need time to process everything that has happened to you after a certain amount of time. And I have to admit that from January 2017 until the end of February 2018, it was really a busy period and I didn't really have the time meanwhile to process everything that had happened to me: kicking off NoWoC and the tour to Estonia, finishing and performing the Mesekantáta (Fairy Tale Cantate) with Bartók Rózsái Énekegyüttes, or conducting and also singing a long-wished-for solo at the Choir and Conducting Course in Békéscsaba. These all happened in one year, and I haven't mentioned the small things yet. Or there was the trip to San Vigilio di Marebbe for the Libero Canto Conference, where I made and met friends. Amazing trips, meeting amazing people, moving to a new address, building a nest. That's a lot to process!


Not only this, but I have the feeling that 2019 won't be boring at all! On the contary. The silence of 2018 was only the silence before the storm, I do believe that I had to get my rest, before this awaiting busy period of my life.

I will keep you updated, don't worry. No spoilers this time ;)

If you ever encounter a longer silent period, don't be afraid. Something huge is coming up, for which you'll need to take a good rest, so you'll be able to do all those amazing and exciting things that awaits you.

No comments:

Post a Comment